Thursday, July 5, 2007

I must be doing it right

As a parent, I'm always questioning everything I say or do.

"Is this the right path to take?"
"Am I screwing up my son by not allowing him to eat another piece of candy?"
"Will what I'm telling this kid today turn into a mom-bashing session with his therapist when he's 30?"

However, today I was assured that I'm doing something right.

My adorable, wonderful, sweet little almost-four-year-old told me the names of his perfect parents: His Daddy (yea!) and His NANA (aka, my mother). My role in this little fantasy was as "a girl who lived next door."

Oh, the joys of parenthood.

But I chose the role of "bad cop" for a reason... and I guess I'm seeing the predictable results!

[ Incidentally, his dessert wasn't docked after I learned he wished I wasn't his mommy. I figure I'll have other opportunities to mess with his head... ]

2 comments:

x said...

Just remember that the things that haunt you the parent about their childhoods is not what will be haunting them when they are in psychotherapy at 30. They will feel traumatized by things you have zero memory of, and you will feel guilty about things they have zero memory of. Our brains are so complicated.

The Quoibler said...

That makes me smile, Individual Voice. You are so correct!

When I was about 14, a boy yelled, "Look at fatty!"

I had just lost a substantial amount of weight (20+ pounds) and perhaps he meant it as a back-handed compliment or a joke.

Who knows?

In any case, it was one of the numerous impetuses for years of disordered eating habits.

I'll bet he wouldn't remember saying it, but it stayed in my mental "recordings".