Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Concerned mama

My four-year-old son will begin pre-kindergarten in a couple of weeks. (Incidentally, it used to be called "nursery school" until that term became un-hip.)

He'll be at the school for three half-days each week. When I signed him up in the spring, I thought it would be wonderful for us to have a little time apart in preparation for kindergarten in 2008. During the time away from one another, I could write unpestered and he could socialize with peers.

Now, I'm having second thoughts.

I feel like I'm handing over what I hold most precious to someone else's whims. Though I know his teacher is qualified, that doesn't mean she's perfect. She'll have days when she's feeling moody, times when she wants to scream, and moments where she'll make mistakes.

I, too, am flawed. But I'm his mother. And she's not.

Am I insane? Or is this part of the normal "separation anxiety" felt by parents everywhere?

1 comment:

Beth said...

I think this is SO normal. I have a son and a daughter. When my daughter went to school (kindergarten), it was the first year of pre-K for the place we were living in at the time so her brother also went off to school as well. I was losing both of them at the same time.

I thought it was great. All well and good. I had some normal worries, but when I got to school, got them into the classroom (they both were happy to be with other kids so no tears), I leaned against a wall in the hallway and cried my eyes out.

The principal of the school caught me carrying on like this and said to me, "Mom, they're in good hands. You have to trust in that."

I never forgot it either. So sorry for blathering on like an idiot, but this is such a special time for your little one. Do what I did, become the room mom. You'll be there at least one day a week and it'll be great for you AND the classroom too.