Monday, October 29, 2007

I know, I know...

... I should write more!

This was my initial blog, but I spend so much time at my other one (www.recessforwriters.blogspot.com) that I end up neglecting this one. But please understand that I will always love my "first born"!

In news of the "boy wonder" kind, my son still hasn't connected with his pre-Kindergarten. I'm now forced (almost two months after starting this journey) to ask myself if the money is worth it.

The problem is that the teachers have to teach to the "lowest common denominator" of sorts. Thus, they are unable to work with kids who are into reading, geography, arts, music, linguistics, math, theatre, et cetera.

I'm beginning to feel as though I'm simply paying this "school" to feed my son lunch and take him to the playground. That makes me a little queasy, to be perfectly honest. After all, that's something I can do myself.

So... what would you do with a child who is obviously not stimulated by pre-Kindergarten? It's the most "academic" one I've found in the area, so if I remove him, we'll just continue to work with him at home. That won't be a problem... but he'll go to Kindergarten next year, and I feel that he'll be even more distanced from his peers than he is now in terms of what he already has learned.

I'm stumped.

One part of me says that he shouldn't be penalized because he's smart. The other part of me says that he has to learn the patience that comes with being "gifted" and having to wait in a classroom sometimes.

Uggh.

I know I sound like a total bitch who is bragging about her son. Please don't leave comments to that extent -- believe me, I don't enjoy this dilemma. Yes, he's intelligent, but it's not something that we like to talk about in front of him. In fact, we don't really dwell on it because I believe a lot of kids have incredible talents -- his just seems to be academic rather than physical or musical.

I'm really stumped.

And here I thought the hardest part about school would be what to send in his lunchbox. Ha.

3 comments:

Beth said...

My daughter was reading and writing by the time she went to school. She was the only one in her class who could do it, but the teacher actually gave her different work than her classmates. That was luck. The same teacher rotated with my daughter's class for 2 years and she always gave all the children different work based on learning level. She was incredible.

I think it's hard when you have a gifted child and schoolwork is a drag. When children who need more help end up getting all the help, the gifted truly pay. This happened to us when we moved to the Midwest so I just taught my children separately from school.

One great thing about pre-K is socialization. My son's pre-K teacher (different from above teacher) told me pre-K is for socialization and activities, that parents don't understand how important this is for little ones. So maybe you could look a pre-K like that and then do separate work with your son on your own. It worked for me.

Either way, good luck!

Beth said...

Angelique, I just wanted to say, I thought your piece for Jason's latest contest was so funny and original. Nice job, you!

The Quoibler said...

Beth:

Thanks so much for your ideas AND for your positive feedback on the "Clarity of Night" entry. I certainly enjoyed writing it, so it's nice to know it elicited a chuckle or two!

:)

Angelique